Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

in the details

If I had to come up with a theme for this week, I would say DETAILS. I feel this week has been all about the details. Details in life. Details at work. Details of the house...both houses really. It all reminds me that it is the little details of the planning process for our new house that I don't want to forget. While it has been a lot of hard work, it has also been a lot of fun.
The color of the nails that hold down the felt that will be under the shingles that go on the roof.

I want to remember cleaning up all the wood, nails and sawdust and hope that it helps me not to take this for granted...How my sweet husband created spreadsheets to organize supplies, costs, and timelines...the ringtone that signified it was a 'house call'...Watching the weather every night to know whether or not the next days crew would be able to put in a full day... I also want to remember the fun (and funny) parts of building the house.

Like G sticking her foot in the wet foundation in this area that will one day be the breakfast nook.

I don't plan to mention anyone by name on the blog because I just feel weird knowing any random person could google their way into our lives. That's creepy. If you have ever spent much time with my husband, you already know that he loves a nick name, and rarely calls anyone or anything by a real name. So coming up for names for the various construction crews came naturally to him.

(Side of the kitchen looking out the door/windows to the back porch)
Team Floyd did the important part of getting the foundation squared away, and while it was exciting to see, I just couldn't visualize what the house would really be like. I couldn't wait for the framers to start...Team Fitzhugh. We've spent quite a lot of time with them this past month. They have been my favorite crew so far because, well, they've done the most visible part. They brought life to the plans. They get there early to get everything set up to begin working at 6:30 am. They also make the least amount of mess, which automatically gave them 100 bonus points from me. (And for that we brought them donuts for breakfast one Friday.)

(Kitchen window and pantry)

They did sub out some of the work on the roof to Mini Hearse. There is no way I could crawl around on the top of a house like these guys do. Team Mini Hearse have other day jobs, so they came in after work to do the decking. In just a couple of days we had a top on the house.

(Hallway to the dining room and living room and storage area under the stairs.)
Mini Hearse brought in the Felt Punks. Their sole purpose was to put down the felt. Apparently that means a couple of guys do all the work while head Felt Punk watched from the picnic table out front. I was ready to jump through the spy cam and tell head punk to get to work. Needless to say, I'm okay that their job is finished and they have moved on from our lives.  

(The outdoor living area that is to the left of the living room.)
New week, Team Fitzhugh will put in the windows and doors while The Springers put on the shingles and finish up the roof!!! Soon the outside will look like a finished house!

(The upstairs hallway and lots of attic space)

Did I mention that we've finally got stairs? This has been my favorite detail so far. I'm not crazy about ladders and I have been on one far two many times over the past month.
(Stairs! Love them!)

The Fitzhughs are finishing up on the inside. The ladies have big plans for this room to be their entertaining area.

(Loft area at the top of the stairs)

This house will have tons of storage space. The plan is to have access doors to all the attic space so that we can actually get to the space to store things. Things stored in the attic means we can park both cars in the garage. Or so I've been promised. :)

(guest room)
This weekend we're doing some heavy clean up so all the scraps in the yard will be cleared the next time you see it!


Wrapping the house.
Are you looking for a great exercise plan that will raise your heart rate, make you break a sweat, and work muscles that you didn't know you had? I've got the plan for you. Picking up nails and scraps of wood in 100+ degree heat! Now I need a catchy name for this plan.....Informercial coming soon!


No comments: