Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fa la la la laaaaa

The second weekend of December was approaching and we realized that we had not decorated a thing for Christmas!!! There were no stockings hung by the chimney with care...no candy canes...not even a tree! This is unheard of in our house, as we typically decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving.  So, Saturday morning we set out to find the perfect tree. Unfortunately we were at Lowe's searching in a sea of 6-7 foot trees. I do love a Griswold Christmas tree, but had convinced myself that a 6-7 footer (which happened to be 50% off that day) would be just as beautiful.

Then G pointed out a much larger tree propped on the fence off to the side. Sorry, G...We had to explain that the trees sitting by themselves with no tags on them mean that someone is coming to pick them up later. But she wouldn't accept that answer and decided to go ask Mr. Christmas Tree Guy the status of 'her' tree. Mr. Tree Guy explained to her and Diva that this tree was a 9 foot tree, but the top of it had broken out. It was not worthy to stand with the other trees anymore and would most likely be thrown away.

The sisters sprinted back with the status of the tree. We couldn't let this tree be thrown away. They thought it was beautiful. We happily took the culled tree off their hands, and with some minor trimming around the top...voila!


Personally, I love the outside view of our house at Christmas. The lights actually do twinkle in the stained glass of the front door. I braved the frigid temperatures Saturday night to show you what I mean.



Husband and I made a "prenuptial agreement" that we would always have a real Christmas tree (my stipulation) and that I would always put on the lights (husband's least favorite part of Christmas).  Let me just tell you, my family completely left the house! Yes, they ditched me and I had to single handedly put on 12 strands of lights. Of course they magically made it back in time for the ornaments.


We don't have a particular theme to our tree....just a variety of ornaments that we've all collected over the years. Lady Liberty came from our trip to New York in 2007.



I happen to be a fan of owls, so you'll see a few that I've collected donning the branches. This vibrant fellow was this year's addition.


No tree is complete without a homemade treasure. The girls have made sure that our tree is complete with some of their finest work from over the ages.



Husband takes homemade to a different level. Kinda not fair since he's a professional, right? This was our wedding cake topper that he made and then transformed into a stunning Christmas keepsake.



Our house is still on the market, so we toned down all the decor this year and kept the mantel pretty classic with just the stocking. (Perhaps someone will have 'New Home' on their Christmas list this year!)



Now that the house smells like Christmas, perhaps I can get geared up to begin my Christmas shopping.



(Yes, I did say begin. Don't judge...It was just 80 degrees a week ago...)

No comments: