Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Locks of Love

 Several years ago I heard about an organization called Locks of Love. To quote their website, "Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis."
While I don't have tons of extra time to devote in service to others, I thought Hey! I do have hair. I can do this! My senior year of college I cut 15 inches of hair to donate, and a little over a year ago, I decided it was time to start growing again.

My intention has been to cut my hair as soon as my dear friend and hair stylist returns from her maternity leave in mid-October. Yesterday, Husband said that our hair stylist friend was going to sneak in the salon for a bit and could give us a quick trim. So off we went. When it was my turn, we decided to go ahead and measure to see how much longer I needed to wait before I met the 10 inch minimum length to donate.
She put my hair into two ponytails and measured up exactly 10 inches.
AND THEN MADE THE CUT!!!!!
Surprise!!!
I even surprised myself! I think not having 'the cut' planned helped me not to be so anxious about the fact that I was losing about 5lbs of hair! (and 20 minutes of time spent getting ready in the mornings!!! woo-hoo!)
While we snipped away, Husband and G had quite the photo shoot:
It started out a little bit above my shoulders and I just let her decide the final outcome.
(This is totally out of character for me, but I completely trust her, so that made it much easier! However, I am taking some pretty deep breaths in this picture!!!)
We had such a great time!
Diva held the new baby while Mamacita finished up my new do.
Ta da......
...and the back....
This morning, I actually fixed it by myself: 
But Sweet Hair Stylist Friend called me early this morning to check on me, just in case :)

Check out their website for more information on how you can get involved!

2 comments:

HP said...

I LOVE IT! I cut mine back in August! Your new style is SUPER cute!

molly b. said...

love the new do, friend! miss you!