Search This Blog

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving traditions

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. We have so much to be thankful for, and it was wonderful to be able to celebrate with both sides of our families this year.

On Thanksgiving day we celebrate with Husband's side of the family in Chestnut Grove. Uncle Wayne welcomes everyone and then the brothers and sisters introduce each of their families and gives a little highlight of the happenings in their family from the year.


A few family members recently returned home from a trip to Israel and they shared some of their photos and stories with us. Then Mimi and Aunt Nellie Sue lead us in Amazing Grace before lunch begins.


Husband has two brothers and one sister, so when you bring in all the wives, husbands, and kids...we're quite a large crew! (Imagine how I felt the first time I met the whole family! Fortunately they let me stick around!)

We are thankful that all of our family was able to attend...even Lucy (the dog) who managed to get her rump in the family photo. I am truly blessed to be a part of this family now.

I'll admit, Friday we did get up and do a bit of Black Friday shopping. Don't worry. We aren't the crazed shoppers that will beat you up over a toaster. Actually, this year we didn't even wake up till 5am and the crowds felt a bit tame. Most of our list was at Lowe's (imagine that) so we were in and out in no time. I did learn that Husband is like a rock star in Lowe's. We walked past a cluster of associates and they screamed out his name and waved. (Guess they do work off commission.) We were home before 8am, and later that afternoon a few friends came over to watch the Iron Bowl. We were a pretty tame bunch.

Saturday evening we headed to celebrate Thanksgiving with my Mom's side of the family. We were very thankful that my Mowmow felt like coming to join us. You may remember that she was really sick earlier this year, so it was a big deal for her to make the trip away from the nursing home. 


This was the first time in a while that all of her grand kids were able to come. I love the picture below of Mowmow...My uncle really had everyone tickled.


We have a fun tradition after dinner to help get everyone geared up for Christmas. My other Uncle reads The Night Before Christmas and we have an ornament swap. (Mowmow got a chill, so she's all bundled up)


Different words are taken from the story and put in a basket. Then everyone draws a word.


When your word is read you must yell and scream like a fool, and the reader will pause for you to either select a mystery ornament or steal an ornament that another family member has already opened.


These are a few of the ornaments that passed through my hands...but were stolen by my very own cousins!


I really can't remember how long we've played this game, but it never fails to crack me up. If your family is in the market for a new tradition, feel free to steal this one for next year!!

No comments: