Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

What happened at 4am?

I'm normally a very heavy sleeper. As soon as my head hits the pillow, I'm fast asleep and typically do not wake up until my alarm goes off...and even then sometimes it takes me a while to hear it. This morning, however, was a different story. I woke up around 4am and was completely confused as to why. Something told me there was a loud noise, but the house was completely silent. Hmmmm...I thought it must have been a dream. As I was about to doze off again I heard footsteps upstairs. I shook Husband to wake him up to listen. When I saw a light come on, I immediately jumped out of bed and ran upstairs.

Diva met me on the stairs saying that a column had fallen on G and she was crying. Column? What? Its 4am...does she have a column? When we got to her room it was pitch black (I can endorse the black out shades now) and we couldn't find the remote for the light. In the dark, G assures me that she is okay but Polkadot is missing!

(Remember Polkadot...the African Dwarf Frog....?)

We found the switch and when the light came on I saw complete chaos!


Pillows and blankets and water and rocks were everywhere!  Water? Rocks? This had to be a dream.


Now, this is when I wake up enough to start putting things together. G's headboard (an old mantel) had fallen off the wall while she was sleeping. Thankfully the bed stopped it from landing completely on her, but the tilt was enough to knock Polkadot's frog bowl off the mantel onto the bed where it bounced onto the floor (the loud noise that woke me up), spilling water and rocks everywhere.



G says that she's not hurt but that Polkadot cannot be found and she's looked everywhere. Unfortunately Polkadot's bowl-mate (that happens to be plastic and twice her size) didn't make things look hopeful for The Dot.


We searched the floor...nothing. Under the bed...nothing. On the comforter, under the comforter, in the sheets...nothing. By now, we're in frantic search mode. What if she splashed out onto G before the bowl bounced onto the floor?!?! We search G all over...even in her hair! Nothing turned up except for more blue rocks. Then we retraced her steps to Diva's room thinking that maybe, if she was on G, she had fallen off. Fifteen minutes of searching later...Nothing.

 Oh, side note...I failed to take pictures of Polkadot's new habitat--a small fishbowl wrapped in a hot pink feather boa. So keep in mind we also have hot pink feathers all over the place.

As a last ditch effort, G and I struggled to pull the entire bed frame out into the middle of the room. While we're sifting through the items-that-don't-belong-under-a-bed pile I noticed a feather blowing across the floor....but the fan was off.  A closer look revealed that it was Polkadot with a feather stuck to her!

**Cue the Hallelujah Chorus!**


She is alive and well! (Where was Husband during all this action, you might ask? Peacefully snoozing all cozy in bed. Who's the heavy sleeper now!?!?)


I will say that this drama has caused me to Google a little more about African Dwarf Frogs this morning (since I'm awake) and I have learned that we are over-feeding her....and most definitely that She is a HE!!!
Oh, and one small detail that last year's teacher forgot to put in the note home with the Adoption Papers. Life expectency. Which could be 10-20 YEARS!!!

The good news is that G is doing just fine and Polkadot is alive and well in her newly relocated bowl! ...where she promised to remain for the next 10-20 years!









1 comment:

M'elle said...

I am so glad that no one was hurt and the frog was found!
The house looks so pretty, BTW! Oh, and don't throw away those boxes! We will need lots VERY soon! :o)