Search This Blog

Monday, August 16, 2010

One Day...Two Babies

Last Wednesday, one of our close friends had a baby! Baby E weighed 7lbs 9 ozs and was 18 inches long. What hair she has is dark like her mom and big sister!
And I held her!
Yesterday we went by to see them now that they're all settled in at home. While I was holding her, she woke up and declared that it was snack time. Her mom handed me the doll-sized bottle and walked away. (What kind of mother leaves their new baby alone to be fed by me!?!?! Oh, and burped!!!) The good news is that I didn't break her and she is too young to remember any of the ordeal! Hopefully she won't be traumatized for life.

In other news...I fed another week old baby yesterday too.
Meet Cash.
He lives on our friend T's farm and was a twin. Apparently cows will only recognize one baby at a time, so this little fellow got the boot. Fortunately, T came to the rescue and he and his dad are bottle feeding Cash until he is big enough to join the others.
I mean, look at this face. What kind of momma cow could abandon this face??!
No worries, Cash. I shall help feed you!
He finished this bottle in 2 minutes flat!
...and then wanted some more!
FYI-cow tongues feel a lot like cat tongues.
I have also been promised by Farmer T, that Cash will most certainly NOT end up on a dinner plate. All minds can be at ease knowing that Cash will live a long and happy life...although he'll never be a bull, but that's a different story.
While at the farm, we took a tour to see how my other cow is doing. Let me explain...A while back I picked a cow to be 'mine' but that would still live on the farm. Farmer T would simply be responsible of keeping me updated on her well being. Number NinetyEight was my first cow, but her well being was always a bit vague. Then I discovered that my NinetyEight had been sold without my knowledge or a proper goodbye. Although it took some time to recover from the loss, it was finally time to choose her successor.
Meet NinetyFour...
But wait...what is this!?!? Another NinetyFour?!? As it turns out, I've got a package deal. NinetyFour-cow and NinetyFour-calf.
Poor FiftyTwo. The partial horn is giving her a bit of an identity crisis. Don't judge.
Then we have Numberless. He is small for his age and has been deemed unworthy of a number by Farmer T. 
But I think he has potential...and shall call him Seven. 

1 comment:

molly b. said...

how sweet! I'll be honest...reader makes me crazy so I am not much help with that...