Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hometown visit

At Last!!! I've downloaded the pictures from last weekend's adventure to my hometown! It was such a wonderful visit! When we arrived on Friday night, we grabbed Mom and headed over to little Grandmother's house for a delicious meal and a chocolate pie that I didn't have to share with my Dad or Brother. Then we went back to Mom and Dad's house to crash. But not before seeing Gertie!!


She's missed me so much. I feel that if we were in a movie, this reunion would have been depicted in a slow-motion run towards each other.

Saturday morning, Mom, Husband and I went to visit Mowmow in the nursing home. (Thanks for all your prayers! She looks so much better than the last time we saw her!!) She was very chatty and we laughed at  her telling old stories. When we left, we drove over to the 2nd Annual Downtown Street Festival! They had live music, inflatables, various booths, and delicious smelling food. As a bonus, they had HEAT second only to that of the Sahara Desert and humidity like none other! So we immediately ducked into the closest antique store for relief. (Which came in the form of a fan) There I stumbled upon some fun goodies. This was at the front of the store:


I agree. I bet this box is far more valuable than the Twin Grippers it contains.


I also found these! Dishes that remind me of little Grandmother because she had the exact same ones when I was little.


The coolest part of the entire store was waaaay back in the back. Grandma's Antiques used to be the Hardware Store, and the back was just that...The Old Hardware Store! It was like taking a step back in time, as most of the things back there had been untouched since the store closed.  These were the shelves that held small nails, bolts, and other 'hardware' things. 


These were labeled 'points' but I'm not sure what you'd do with them....???


Anyone need some horseshoes?


Just down the street was the Down~Town Barber Shop where my mom's Granddaddy used to work.


The town's claim to fame is that it used to have a doll factory that made the Ella Smith Dolls



In recent years the old Post Office has been converted into a museum to display the history of these dolls as well as other historical items from the town's past. One of those little historical nuggets was an old newspaper from my mom's high school.

Bottom row, left, look familiar to anyone??? (I know she'll love the fact that I've announced that she's Museum Material! Love ya, Mom!!!)


I also got to spend some quality time with this guy.


His mom happens to be one of the best friends I could ask for, and he was so kind as to spend the night with his Granna so that I could spend some time with her at another friend's wedding. We met up with friends that we graduated high school with almost 10 years ago.

But now we're grown up...more mature...we have jobs...and families....responsibilities....

Well, clearly some of us are still working on the 'more mature' part! :)


There were several other friends from high school there that I got to see too! It was a much needed night of dancing, reminiscing, and laughing with people that I don't get to see often enough!



And unless the salt shaker and the sugar bowl run off together to Timbuktu, I will tell you next time about Uncle Wiggily and the Littletails.

No comments: