Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Grandmother's swim suit

Once upon a time, when my dad was a little boy and quite possibly before my aunt was even born, my Grandfather bought my Little Grandmother a blue seersucker swim suit with pink flowers on it. 


Little Grandmother had this treasure tucked away in her sewing room closet. When I was little, I would play dress up in this old fashioned swimsuit and Little Grandmother would adjust the straps so that it sorta fit. I loved it! Later on in life, probably on a day she decided to clean out her closet, Little Grandmother gave that swimsuit to me. 

This little seersucker number hung in my closet at my parent's house throughout high school and college. Actually, it hung in there until just a few years ago when I packed it up for good when I moved in with Husband! Husband and I shared a closet at our old house, so I didn't unpack the particular box with the swim suit in it until we moved into our new house. That's when I decided it was time....


Time to play dress up once again!
 

I tried on the swim suit for the first time as a grown up and it fit!!! (even though I'm a foot taller than Little Grandmother) So, I donned my floppy hat to bask in the sun in my back yard! ...Okay so actually I just wore the suit as a romper while our 4th of July guests were arriving...but more on that later.

PS--The care instructions read: Hand wash in cold water. Rinse in clear water. Hang dry in the shade. Do Not Press.

The thought of actually pressing a swim suit cracked me up!!!



Mom, you're responsible for making sure Little Grandmother sees these pictures. I think she'll get a good laugh!




3 comments:

Alison said...

LOVE the suit!!! Cant wait to see more pictures!!

molly b. said...

This makes me so happy! Is it weird to say you look hot in your grandmother's bathing suit?

Robin and Clint said...

Mel, this is GREAT! Love it! Love you!